To register for the series, please complete the MTE Online Registration Form.
The More to Explore Team at Turtle Bay Exploration Park is excited to share this online training series for early childhood caregivers and educators, made possible with the generous support of First 5 Shasta. The goal of this series is to provide high quality childcare and early education throughout Shasta County through four main strategies: 1) a four-part training series which has now been offered in Redding, Anderson, Shasta Lake, and Burney, 2) providing this online series to reach even more providers throughout Shasta County, 3) expansion and promotion of our education resources through the Turtle Bay Lending Library, and 4) expansion of Turtle Bay’s website to include early childhood education resources.
Thank you for participating in our program! Our goal is to support YOU in your important role as early childhood educators. You are the true experts in meeting the social, emotional, physical, and educational needs of your young learners. You know them: their needs, their reactions, and what catches their attention. Although science and math activities often play a smaller role in these early learning years, our training series introduces three hands-on curricula as well as effective teaching strategies to adapt lessons and better engage more students. These curricula will plant seeds of curiosity and excitement in you and your students to explore the world around you; you will be surprised at how fun and easy it can be to bring early science and math skills into your daily program. Most importantly, these new and engaging activities and curriculum can stimulate discussion and build literacy skills which will set students on a strong path for their future learning and growth.
This online training series is designed to be user-friendly and highly interactive with other participants, with our key presenters, and with the More to Explore Program Coordinator at Turtle Bay. Keep in mind that, although this training series is online, the curriculum and teaching strategies we present are focused on hands-on exploration and person-to-person relationships and discussions. We expect all participants to submit comments via this website, send email messages, or leave voicemail messages at any time. We want YOU to be successful, feel directly engaged in this program, and to feel supported by our More to Explore team.
To complete this course, we have a few basic requirements:
- Completion of MTE Online Registration Form and a Pre-Workshop Survey
- Completion of all course components, as listed in the Main Menu. These include homework assignments and a final project to share in person.
- Participation at one in-person final workshop
- Completion of a Post-Series Survey
As a reward for completion of this series, you will receive:
- A free Teacher’s Guide for GEMS: Treasure Boxes, Growing Up Wild, and Project Learning Tree
- One year free membership to the Curriculum Lending Library
- A free small gift package of science tools for your young learners
- A one-day family pass to Turtle Bay Exploration Park
- An opportunity to purchase an annual individual or family membership at a 25% group discount
- Completion certificate showing 16 Professional Growth hour
Course outline of dates are as follows:
- Unit 1: 2/16/16 to 2/28/16
- Unit 2: 2/29/16 to 3/13/16
- Unit 3: 3/14/16 to 3/27/16
- Unit 4: 3/28/16 to 4/11/16
- In-Person Share Festival 4/16/16